Sunday, November 25, 2012

New paintings!


Just thought I'd show you a few new pieces I've been working on.  A dear friend of mine had an Open House for me in early November - an Art Show & Sale and I did sell several pieces.  What a sweet friend!  I'm trying some different methods, working in acrylics and adding lots of texture with a palette knife.  I find these paintings energetic and SO much fun - a good break from the painstakingly detailed works that I usually do.  Here's just a few...

24x30  "Tuscan Poppies"  (sold)

24x30  "Zinnias & Sunflowers"  $250 + shipping

24x30  "Dancing Poppies"  $250 + shipping


The process starts with a generous amount of gesso over the canvas followed by an adhesive such as decoupage.  Then I crinkle tissue paper or some other kind paper that will give you a good texture and apply that.  Another layer of adhesive over the top of that and finish with a coat or two of gesso.  As I paint, I block in the main colors and continue layering with brush and palette knife generous amounts of acrylic paints until I get the look that I'm going for. 

The edges of these paintings are 1 1/2" wide and painted a rich black. That way, you can frame it for a more traditional look OR hang it as is for a more modern, streamlined look.  Last, I apply a glossy finish lacquer over the painting to protect it and to bring out the colors.

 I was pleased with these results and will be doing more of them.

Holler at me if you have any questions or further inquiries about these pieces!
Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! Allll of your art is so gorgeous!!! I love it all........

    ReplyDelete
  2. W.O.W!!!! These are just gorgeous, Vickie! So vibrant and full of life!! Well done!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have patience galore! I don't like to work that hard, lol. They are very vibrant!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lively colors and beautiful work. Yes, those poppies ARE dancing! The centers of them look like pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Tuscan poppies! I'm enjoying my beautiful gift, too. I still can't believe I have one of your gorgeous prints! I love it! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are better than Van Gogh and Monet!!! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your artwork! I'm following here, too--don't want to miss any!

    ReplyDelete